qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu problem (you might be my last resort)

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu problem (you might be my last resort)
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 11:06:01 -0500

On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 08:01:04AM +0100, Robin Pfeifer wrote:
> I have changed my subscription address as no post of this thread made it
> through the damn spam guard of my provider's. Maybe I shouldn't have
> used 'last resort' in the topic line...

Same here. Lucky for me, I am the one who set up and manages the anti-spam
software.

> Anyway:
>
> Jim C. Brown wrote:
>
> > Out of curiosity, does it work if you use an iso image instead of
> > /dev/cdrom?
>
> No, it doesn't, the same error appears.
>
> > If you "-boot a" from a floppy disk image, will that work or does it
> have the
> > same error? (You can download a FreeDOS boot disk if u don't have a
> way to
> > get a bootable floppy disk image).
>
> That's very strange, booting from a floppy works.

You mean u get the new X window titled "QEMU", which shows the guest OS booting,
and once the booting is done the guest OS is actually usuable (at least as
usuable as it would be if it was botted on a real computer)?

Here are a few more tests to try out:

If you boot from a hard disk, no floppy or cdrom image given, does it work?

If you boot from a hard disk, cdrom iso image given, does it work? If it does
work, can you see the cdrom from the guest?

If you boot from a hard disk, /dev/cdrom given, does it work? If it does
work, can you see the cdrom from the guest?

If you boot from a floppy, cdrom iso image given, does it work? If it does
work, can you see the cdrom from the guest?

If you boot from a floppy, /dev/cdrom given, does it work? If it does
work, can you see the cdrom from the guest?

I'm trying to see if this problem is caused by trying to access the cdrom,
or if it only comes up when you try to boot from it. (BTW how many different
cdroms/cdrom images have you tested?)

> Stefan Kisdaroczi wrote:
>
> > Did you try to set "-L" ?
> > -L path  // set the directory for the BIOS and VGA BIOS
>
> No, I didn't try that. This parameter isn't in the qemu manpage, is it?
> What am I supposed to use as directory?
>
> Robin

-L is used to set the path for the BIOS. This directory is the one that contains
the following files:

bios.bin            ppc_rom.bin         vgabios.bin
linux_boot.bin      vgabios-cirrus.bin

E.g. if you installed to /usr/local prefix, the BIOS files are probably in
/usr/local/share/qemu.

Since booting from a floppy works, I do not think that this is a BIOS related
problem (unless you are using an old bios.bin file or somehow your bios.bin
file got slightly corrupted by mistake).