qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Introduction of Henrik Nordstrom

From: Henrik Nordstrom
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Introduction of Henrik Nordstrom
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 17:44:25 +0200 (CEST)

this is a little message introducing myself to the list.

I learnt of qemu from Rusty Russel in an discussion on Linux kernel development and debugging at a netfilter developer workshop.

Have previously used User-Mode-Linux quit extensively, both for kernel debugging and complete system testing, but it can be a little cumbersome at times and alternatives is always refreshing. The ability to run the same binary kernel without modifications is very attractive.

Primary goals: to get QEMU up to the same ease of use as our current UML setup when it comes to complete system testing. This involves some slight changes in network device configuration to make better use of the Linux TUN/TAP driver capabilities, and eventually implementation of a "hardware layer" using a user-level switch to allow simulation of networks of interconnected QEMU stations without involving the host, similar to the user-level network of UML.

Secondary goal: maybe use it for Linux kernel developments as well.

Regards
Henrik Nordstrom