qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] booting linux 2.6 in qemu-system-ppc

From: J. Mayer
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] booting linux 2.6 in qemu-system-ppc
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 12:47:55 +0200

On Mon, 2005-05-23 at 10:31 +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > console=ttyS0 console=tty0
> > Note that the Open-Firmware frame-buffer support is broken in many 2.6
> > kernels (I mean on real Macs)
>
> How so ?

Well, there have been many issues with frame-buffer in 2.6, not only on
Mac platform.
With Open-Firmware frame buffer, I remember the first 2.6 kernels had no
fb output at all.
Then came kernels that could display a Tux penguin in psychadelic
colors, I guess it was drawing in 16 bits mode when the OF frame-buffer
is 15 bits.
This has been solved in more recent kernels. I don't remember in which
version it was fixed (but I think around 2.6.5 or 2.6.6).
I can easily reproduce this on my Ibook and on my Apple Network Server,
which means it's not a hardware-dependant bug (Ibook 2 has an ATI
graphic card, ANS is cirrus-logic) nor it's specific to some OF version
(ANS one is really old...).

There is now another bug with qemu: with recent 2.6 kernels, the
frame-buffer is recognized and console is working but it only draws
characters black on black background, even if I send escape sequences to
change the drawing color. Note that the penguin is well drawn, in those
cases.
If you have an idea of what can cause this, I'd be glad to know it ;-)

[...]

--
J. Mayer <address@hidden>
Never organized