qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Looking for an easy way to exchange data bidirectional

From: Jan Marten Simons
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Looking for an easy way to exchange data bidirectional between host and guest (including some suggestion)
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 01:38:14 +0200 (CEST)

>> - no ide-channel is blocked (unlike vvFat)
>
> I don't believe this is a major issue. Alias, vvFat is readonly and
> anyways not
> suitable for the purposes of every OS (e.g. copy from Linux guest to Linux
> host, preserving ownership).

Well for the current project I'm working on, I'm running short of
ide-channels in some situations:
I've one ro-diskimg containig the OS then there is an exchangeable
ro-discimg containig programms for different purposes, then there is the
rw-diskimg where the user can store his information. And sometimes a
software needs to have a cd in the drive as well.

> Like I said, modifying TFTP for R/W would be a good option. It's already
there,
> the "miminalists" can't complain about having it removed (e.g. it may
one day
> be used to support "virtual" netboots), and one can use ftp clients for
> the tftp server (I think).

Well the TFTP-server should get r/w, too, but if I get it right you'd have
to access the data on the guest from the host, which might lead to
situation where users shutdown the guest and then try to get their
(then lost) data from it via TFTP, which has to be installed on the host.

>> The Samba-wrapper does not work on Win-on-Win situations
>>

> But windows host has native SMB support. Surely the wrapper could be
> altered to support using SMB via win32 ?

I guess it could be modified, but then you'd have to share some
directories  via smb either on the host or the guest, which would be some
additional requierement, which would destroy an out-of-the-box use (insert
DVD in any workstation on the lan, get your working sandboxed virtual
desktop)

Have a nice day,
  Jan