qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Building a disk image?

From: Magnus Damm
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Building a disk image?
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 10:53:00 +0900

On 7/7/05, Jim C. Brown <address@hidden> wrote:
> This is quite clever. I don't see the sources for fsimage (the host program)
> anywhere though - it would be a lot more useful if one could tinker with both
> the host and the guest sides. This can be made to cover everything except
> resizing qcow images (and there is already work on that particular front
> elsewhere).

The goal was to build a small distribution that could be used to
modify filesystems in a host-independent way, without root
permissions. But now I find myself using fsimage for all kinds of
tasks, kernel programming, booting laptops without cdroms etc. So
yeah, thanks, I actually think it is pretty clever too.  =)

But the source for the host program _is_ included, or rather, the host
program is a shell script.

And, another cool thing is that it comes with full source code. So
people that want to tinker with it could download
fsimage-0.1.2-guest-src.tar.gz and type configure, make and make
install. Download from:

http://www.smallworks.com/~jim/fsimage/

> Could be especially useful for manipulating disk images on Windows hosts.

Yep, as long as the tftp server path prefix thing gets sorted out then
I think everything will be ok. But it depends on a bourne shell right
now, maybe it is better to replace the shell script with c code that
can be compiled for both *nix and windows.

/ magnus