qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Network code on AMD64

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Network code on AMD64
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 11:25:43 -0400

On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 12:32:32PM +0100, Paul LeoNerd Evans wrote:
> Apologies if this issue has already been solved, by the way; I've only
> just joined the mailing list...

No, this problem has come up a couple times but until now no one has actually
tried to fix them.

Good job.

> But there's a problem. Currently my only test image is a Windows 98SE
> install - not best known for being able to properly debug - I shall have
> to test with a decent Knoppix or something like that... But I find that
> if I start up IE, it attempts a connection to its default homepage, then
> Qemu itself segfaults. Normally I'd fire up gdb at this stage and have a
> good look around, but I gather from documentation that the internals of
> qemu are far from standard, and I might be somewhat out of my depth here.

qemu does a lot of strange things, but the hardware emulation code (e.g. the
code that emulates the ne2k) as well as the servers emulation code (e.g. the
code that emulates a dhcp server or the code that handles the proxying of tcp/ip
requests) can easily be debugged using gdb. I've done it many times myself -
only
the translated machine code itself can not be viewed this way (for obvious
reasons).

> I thought I'd report here anyway; maybe someone with more development
> experience could pick it up, or at least, give me some suggestions of
> tests to run. I'm quite familiar with C in general, and Linux coding, but
> I've never done anything like the dynamic translation stuff that qemu is
> doing here...

Odds are good this isn't the place where the segfault is occuring, and like I
said the rest of qemu is perfectly debuggable in gdb.