qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Trying to emulate an openmosix cluster

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Trying to emulate an openmosix cluster
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 18:54:21 -0400

On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 09:31:54PM +0200, Christian MICHON wrote:
> My point is the following: today 2 qemu guests with dedicated
> macaddr cannot share the same TAP-win32 v8 adapter.
>
> The software I mentionned above doesn't have similar limitation.
> Would it be feasible to change the current tap/win32 patch to
> overcome qemu's current limitation, and where to start ?
>
> Christian

IIRC the limitation is due to the OpenTap implementation of Windows itself.
And thats probably a limitation inherited from elsewhere - the winpcap that
Tap/win32 uses, if I understand correctly.

Of course I can imagine one possibility. Basicially, use something akin to VDE:
a master program is connected several instances of a modified qemu, so that qemu
gets its ethernet packets from the master program and sends its own back to it.
THe master program just does what vde_switch does: shuttle packets between the
different qemu instances. Then you just need to get the master program to use
winpcap or tap/win32 to be able to forward packets between the Windows host and
the qemu guests.

Nothing like that exists right now (at least nothing that I know of) for Windows
- you will need to a) write it from scratch or b) port VDE to Windows.