qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] about DHCP server in qemu

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] about DHCP server in qemu
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 15:23:48 -0400

On Sun, Oct 02, 2005 at 04:39:59AM +0200, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> 1.1.1.1 is not a QEMU given IP.

I know. I have no idea why that shows up.

> Try manually assigning the IP 10.0.2.15/24(255.255.255.0) to the quest
> with a default route to 10.0.2.2. This should work.

Already did. It does. 10.0.2.2 is pingable, at least.

> It is quite possible the guest is not happy about something in the qemu
> DHCP reply. QEMU responds with a DHCP reply even if the client sent a
> BOOTP request and this can confuse some badly implemented BOOTP clients,
> and the number of DHCP options returned differ slightly from most DHCP
> servers possibly confusing some DHCP clients expecting additional options.

The client is definitely using (and expecting) DHCP, not BOOTP. Oddly enough,
it gets a timeout error. Very strange.

I tried to test out pump under tomsbrt but it refused to work; I'm too lazy to
attempt recompile a real dhcp client under a floppy linux. Since the pump binary
that I was using works under the redhat distro that it came from, I'm guessing
that its a bug in the LUA client. Will investigate further.