qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] tun/tap networking: patch for existing tun

From: Jean-Christian de Rivaz
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] tun/tap networking: patch for existing tun
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 15:58:39 +0200

Henrik Nordstrom a écrit :
On Sun, 2 Oct 2005, Jean-Christian de Rivaz wrote:

It's already the case with at least my proposed patch. I have't tested the patch written by Henrik Nordstrom or Lars Munch but it's likly that there work the same way since this feature come from the Linux kernel tun code.

Indeed. It is impossible to support persistent TUN/TAP devices without not also supporting dynamically created devices.

Agree. My patch don't drop the dynamic way to use TUN/TAP! Or it has a bug in it.

vde is not the only userspace switch available. Locking qemu to only vde would be bad. I then much prefer not having the builtin vde option or even the tun/tap open code and only keep -tun-fd. (from -tun-fd all the others can be implemented by a wrapper opening the connections and handing them over to QEMU)

I don't want to stop support of others virtual switch or whatever new interfaces! I just tell about VDE because I like it. Now ok, you can arg that you can make everything with a "-tun-fd" option, but this requier a wrapper for every use and this is I think the best way to confuse users.

See the proposal from Fabrice some month ago on what the command line parameters should look like. Very nice imho. And very easy to extend with new modes (VDE, persistent TUN/TAP, whatever) without having to introduce new confusing options.

Ok.

--
Jean-Christian de Rivaz