qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Mac OS X issues

From: Mike Kronenberg
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Mac OS X issues
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 14:31:38 +0100

Txs for the offer,

Win and Lin are working ok for me, too.

Mike

On 09.12.2005, at 23:34, Joachim Henke wrote:

Ok, thanks for your reply.

I'm currently building qemu from CVS code several times a week, but I never had DOS related problems. The guest OS is Win98 SE and I use the DOS command prompt quite often. What are you doing, when it crashes qemu? Does this occur randomly or when running special programs/typing special commands?

It's not random, but clearly reproducable, see below.

Inspired by your e-mail I did some tests with the first "heavy" DOS application that came to my mind: FastTracker 2.09 - Ok, qemu is too slow to produce some enjoyable sound with it, but despite of this everything seemed to work well. While the track was running, I played around in the audio settings of FastTracker to tweak it a bit - and indeed: qemu crashed. Unfortunately, I couldn't reproduce this. Maybe it's just a bug in the SoundBlaster emulation which hasn't been totally completed yet?

The crashes occur without audio, too.

My host is an iMac G5 with Mac OS 10.4.3 and Xcode 2.2 installed. I use the following options to configure the build:

configure --prefix=/usr/local --cc=gcc-3.3 --host-cc=gcc-3.3 -- target-list=i386-softmmu --enable-coreaudio --enable-cocoa

--enable-coreaudio
is automatically added when using --enable-cocoa. I added it just for SDL builds, since SDL audio is not really usable on OS X...

Btw: Using "--cc=gcc" (which is gcc 4.0.2) also works fine.

Yes, the Problem with gcc 4is user-mode.

I haven't tried FreeDOS yet, but if you like, you can point me to an image and give me some detailed instructions to reproduce the himem and xms issues.

You find a freedos including doom here:
http://www.kberg.ch/q/userfiles/freedosdoom.zip

or at the oszoo.org

Crashes:
- when choosing option 1 (standard)
about 10-20 sec into doom, when playing timedemo (doom -timedemo demo3), otherwise, too.

This used to work great before.

Thanks,
Mike

Sincerely
        Jo.

Mike Kronenberg wrote:
Thanks for this correction,

it does indeed fix the dead key issue which I was not aware of, when I wrote that code to retrieve isochars. (I have no dead keys on my PB Keyboard :) )

Fixed this in Q. But the next Build will have to wait a little, since we have some other Problems on OS X.
Maybe You can help us out a little with this:

When running DOS/DOS Prompt under windows under QEMU, I experience crashes all the way. With freedos I have figured out, that loading himem or xms will crash QEMU (Option 1). Option 3 (no Drivers) works. So it could be a memory mapping issue... DOOM crashes half way down.

This behaviour was introduced with the new MP Code. It's not related to cocoa.m, it also happens with SDL. I have the same Result with Tiger and Panther. There are no public builds yet... that would generate to much mails :)

Maybe You could just reproduce this issue?

Mike