qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] DMA with Knoppix and qemu (cvs-version)

From: andrzej zaborowski
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] DMA with Knoppix and qemu (cvs-version)
Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 15:31:40 +0200

On 07/05/06, Jens Axboe <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sat, May 06 2006, andrzej zaborowski wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> On 05/05/06, Sven Köhler <address@hidden> wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >i just booted a recent knoppix-cd (4.0.2) and i'm trying to enable DMA,
> >but it won't work!
> >
> >I started qemu with that command:
> >
> >qemu -m 256 -cdrom knoppix.iso -boot d
> >
> >But inside knoppix, a "hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc" won't work:
> >  HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
> >
> Just a note: setting DMA through hdparm doesn't work on Linux since
> tens of versions ago, it's been depreceted and you have to trust the
> on-boot autodetection (and it works fine -- unless you didn't compile
> the right driver in). It's the same on real machines.

Nonsense, hdparm -d1 is a perfectly valid way to enable DMA on PATA
drives post boot.

Oops, right, the documentation confirms that. I don't know why I was
thinking that.

--
Jens Axboe

Regards,
Andrzej
--
balrog 2oo6

Dear Outlook users: Please remove me from your address books
http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=03/08/21/143258