qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] VMware Player

From: Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] VMware Player
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 17:21:15 +0100

On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 12:12:43PM -0400, Joe Lee wrote:
> You are right, and the idea is that the person have full interaction
> with the application environment including the underlying LAMP/WAMP
> stack  that has been packaged. Users that want to quickly run and
> test-drive the appliance may not really need a full VM type application.
> Just something that could quickly run the image (appliance).

An VMWare player "appliance" is really just a disk image & config file.
Running a disk image in QEMU is just a matter of executing

   qemu -hda /path/to/image

Perhaps adding "-m XXX" to set increased  RAM.

This is no harder to do than using VMWare player

  vmplayer  /path/to/appliance

Since QEMU already understands VMWare disk images, there's even a good
chance that QEMU can run a VMWare "appliance" image itself. So it looks
to me that QEMU is already on a par with VMWare player in terms of being
able to quickly & simply test 'appliance' images.

Dan.