qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] VMware Player

From: kadil
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] VMware Player
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 19:34:33 +1000

On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 16:34 -0400, Joe Lee wrote:

> BTW, I am curious to know how much would it cost to develop a good
> GUI-Frontend for QEMU that would be comparable to VMware. How much man
> hours would this likely take?
>
> Joe

Firstly, we do not have to start from scratch. There are some excellent
examples of gui's as separate projects. We just need a benevolent
dictator to "select" one as a concept, so the project will focus on a
main branch.

I will put forward my vote in advance for gtk. Cross platform, always
free, no strings attached.

I am not a very good programmer. I could do a simple gui is one day, a
comprehensive one may be a solid month. But the quality of my code would
not be as good as the existing options.

I tried qemu-launcher. Loved it, then upgraded qemu and it no longer
works. Hence I would like the gui to be in the main project, so they
stay synchronised.

Fortunately a lot of the work has already been started in the separate
projects. It would be better to select one and build on it, than
starting over.

I would never advocate taking away the text based interface. That in the
MS domain. But an installer + default gui will go far.

Kim