qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] 0.9.0 and svn don't build with -march=pentium2 etc.; w

From: Rob Landley
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] 0.9.0 and svn don't build with -march=pentium2 etc.; was: Latest SVN fails to build on Fedora Core 6 (same with 0.9.0)
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 15:56:59 -0400

On Saturday 24 March 2007 8:32 am, Sunil Amitkumar Janki wrote:
> Anyhow, I expect 32-bit hardware to gradually die because of wear and
> tear in the next few years and the replacement will be 64-bit hardware so
> the problem will solve itself that way.

Specifically, in 2008 32-bit x86 hardware both drops below 50% of the
installed base and stops being a commercial viable option for new sales in
the desktop or laptop space.  (Eric Raymond and I did research about this,
and made a table and everything. :)

http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/world-domination/world-domination-201.html#id248066

Rob
--