qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] linux-user target

From: Igor Kovalenko
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] linux-user target
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 23:52:43 +0400

On 4/18/07, Stuart Anderson <address@hidden> wrote:
On Wed, 18 Apr 2007, J. Mayer wrote:

> You're right: I think all TLS specific code is located in the glibc.

In my last tracing through qemu.log, I did check for r2 references, and
there was one store near the beginning that looked like what glibc would
do (r2 = ptr+0x700), and the rest of the access were reads of r2.

> It may be related to some of the library versions installed in
> your 64 bits environment that would not be the same as the one used in
> the 32 bits environment.

Both are current Debian etch systems, a real x86_64, and a real x86.
Both are running the same library versions.

ii  libc6                  2.3.6.ds1-13 GNU C Library: Shared libraries

> One important
> precision that may make a big difference: I always use gcc 3.4 to
> compile because I know several  gcc 4.x bugs (crash during ISO C
> compliant code and/or incorrect generated asm instructions), then I do
> not consider gcc 4.x as usable for a production environment today.

I'm using gcc-3.4 as well.

ii  gcc-3.4                3.4.6-5 The GNU C compiler
ii  gcc-3.4-base           3.4.6-5 The GNU Compiler Collection (base package)

                                 Stuart

Stuart R. Anderson                               address@hidden
Network & Software Engineering                   http://www.netsweng.com/
1024D/37A79149:                                  0791 D3B8 9A4C 2CDC A31F
                                                  BD03 0A62 E534 37A7 9149

This should be solved for x86_64 host with "-mtune=nocona" patch
posted a while ago.
The problem is with dyngen being confused by "repz retq" sequence.

--
Kind regards,
Igor V. Kovalenko