qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEmu as a Device Software Optimization tool

From: andrzej zaborowski
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEmu as a Device Software Optimization tool
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 21:00:31 +0200

Hi,

On 26/07/07, Paul Borman <address@hidden> wrote:
QEmu Target Configuration - I would like to define a configuration
file syntax (I cannot help but think back to my BSDi days and the BSD/
OS kernel configuration file) that would define the hardware from the
outside.  Device drivers would either need to be already linked in,
or be able to be dynamically loaded.  I would expect that things such
as the memory map, type of interrupt controller, the various devices
along with their io port and memory addresses and interrupts would be
defined here.  Again, this would not replace the current system, but
would essentially be a new init module.  I do not want to see any
working configurations break.

There is some interesting work being done on a similar project by Paul
Sokolovsky for his and Maria Zabolotnaya's Google Summer Of Project.
In their approach machine descriptions (but not only) are written in
python, which lets you hope that they can have a simple syntax,
practically like a config file, if desired, or a much more powerful
one, so it seems to be a better idea than plain config files.

Personally though I don't see much benefit to simple syntax config
files over C files, that are being used now.
Regards