qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: Extending qemu_irq for reset signals

From: Paul Brook
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Extending qemu_irq for reset signals
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 17:34:09 +0100

On Wednesday 15 August 2007, Blue Swirl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to use similar mechanism as qemu_irq as reset signal for
> devices. The difference is that the opaque data and callback are not
> specified at the time of creating the signal at upstream device, but
> when the receiving device is created. This does not fit current
> qemu_irq model.

Either your confused, or not expressing what you want very well. What you
describe is how qemu_irq works.

The "upstream device" and "receiving device" are the same thing.

The whole point of qemu_irq is to be able to send a single-bit signal without
having to know or care where it's going. ie. when creating the board/cpu, you
create the qemu_irq object with appropriate parameters. Then the device
initiating the reset uses that qemu_irq object.

If the device initiating the reset needs to pass additional information, then
you're no longer dealing with a single bit of state, so I don't think
qemu_irq is really appropriate.

Paul