qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-i386 does not start on x86_64 or i686

From: Rob Landley
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-i386 does not start on x86_64 or i686
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 01:18:31 -0500

On Thursday 18 October 2007 4:46:50 pm Ronan Keryell wrote:
> Anybody kind enough to have a look at :
>
> I've asked some other people and they hit the same issue.
> It's not clear to me where the bug is since it happens very early in the
> starting process...
>
> Thank you,

There have been several earlier threads on this.  Here's one I started back in
June: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2007-06/msg00303.html

It was still broken, last I checked.  I'd try to do a git bisect, but 0.9.0
was still broken and if you go back too far it can't find "gcc-3.4" and barfs
because the gcc everything else in the world builds with is 4.x.  (What broke
it was moving the system to glibc 2.5, I.E. upgrading Ubuntu to 7.04.  Old
versions of qemu don't run against that either.)

It only affects user mode, not system mode, and only the i386 target, so I
just delete that executable after the install so nothing tries to use it.

Rob
  - Ken Thompson.