qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] How to split vl.h

From: Stefan Weil
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] How to split vl.h
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 14:32:51 +0100

Fabrice Bellard schrieb:
> Blue Swirl wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> With the automatic dependency rule installed, modifying vl.h causes
>> all files to be recompiled. This is of course the correct action, but
>> it's a major slowdown for development too.
> There must be an option in the Makefile to disable the automatic
> dependency check.
>From my own experience, I can tell that the automatic
dependency check is not really a problem, but makes
things much easier and  safer (I used it for more than
a year now).

I never missed a Makefile option to disable it. Of course,
changes of vl.h are somehow annoying when they force
a rebuild of nearly everything. But in most cases I focus
on one target architecture (e.g. mipsel-softmmu), so
compilation takes not much time even when everything
is compiled. And you always can make a "touch *.o */*.o"
if you know what you do and want to prevent a new
compilation (or use a private modification of the Makefiles).

Options make things more complicated - I don't think we need one here.
>> How should we split vl.h into smaller pieces? Give each device a
>> header file, like m48t59? What about other stuff exported from vl.c?
> The net result is that you will have dozens of header files with only
> one line in them as most devices only export one function.
So you can group headers - one header for network emulations,
one for graphics, ...

We had this discussion about splitting vl.h before, and I
still think it would be good.

> Regards,
>
> Fabrice.
Regards