qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Performance Monitoring

From: Cheif Jones
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Performance Monitoring
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 09:13:44 +0300

Hi All,

Thanks for all the good advice!

I do not have the HW and so I need an emulator. Also the target arch is not x86, it has to be some RISC (ARM, PPC).

I would like to run an OS, say Linux, and take a sample for a small period of time (seconds) while some app(s) are running and get a list of opcode names and how many times they were executed. I'm not interested in CPI at the moment.

Vince, I briefly read your paper and went through the patch . It is very interesting and maybe i can use it for what i need. Questions:
Thanks,
Chief

On 5/22/08, Glauber

>> is compiled JIT and runs natively).
>
> Is an actual emulator necessary, or could you use something like an
> instrumented UML kernel? I'd think that would be a much simpler approach.

Since he claims to need opcode statistics, and UML won't trap any
instruction but the privileged ones, does not seem feasible.

--
Glauber Costa.
"Free as in Freedom"

"The less confident you are, the more serious you have to act."