qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Suggestion for testing framework

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Suggestion for testing framework
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 23:25:01 +0100

On Tuesday 03 June 2008, Glauber Costa wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 7:02 PM, Paul Brook <address@hidden> wrote:

> >> I am a huge fan of testing and think that qemu developers and users
> >> would both benefit from more automated testing.
> >
> > IMHO Automated testing by itself is pretty much worthless.
> > The value comes from having someone look at the results, and actively fix
> > problems as they are discovered. Once you've allocated resources to do
> > this bugfixing setting up the testing is fairly trivial.
>
> Not at all. A developer writing something new for qemu will have a way
> to make sure his code works before submitting it upstream.
> Right now, each one has to write its own testing, each time, which can
> be failed in itself, and not do a full coverage.

We were talking about a tester that does periodic long running tests off svn
trunk, and reports the results. Individual developers are not directly
involved.

You're talking about some sort of testsuite that can be distributed to all
developers and reasonably run before every patch is submitted, which is a
significantly different beast.

I'm pretty certain the proposed tests would not be suitable for routine use by
the majority of developers are part of normal developers. They will be too
large, probably take a long time to run, and contain proprietary software
that can't be redistributed.

Paul