qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] gccism's are ok?

From: Thiemo Seufer
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] gccism's are ok?
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 10:28:36 +0200

Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
>   Hi,
>
> Quick question:  Is it ok to use gcc-specific features in qemu?  Or will
> that break builds on some platform?
>
> Linux obviously is gcc, MacOS X too as far I know.  MinGW on Windows is
> gcc too.  Anything else we care about?

The dyngen targets still require gcc3 to build, OTOH making qemu more
portable is valuable. I believe the policy should be "avoid compiler
extensions unless it is hard to do without".

> I'm thinking especially about the constructor attribute.  That would
> allow to make drivers self-contained, by having a register() call in a
> small constructor function ...

This idea is IMHO of dubious value. It obfuscates the control flow, and
it wouldn't work for a plugin system (where self-containedness would be
the biggest win).

Thiemo