qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Live migration - exec: support to be reintroduced?

From: Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Live migration - exec: support to be reintroduced?
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 17:23:05 +0000

On Wed, Nov 05, 2008 at 09:19:02AM -0600, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> >It is useful from a security point of view - it means QEMU doesn't
> >need to be given permissions to create files, merely append to an
> >opened file handle.
> >
> >On a related note, Avi pointed out to me that SCM_RIGHTS fd passing
> >would be important for NIC hotplug to allow parity with -net arg
> >on the command line. If the QEMU process is running unprivileged,
> >it will not have rights to create TAP devices & giving it a setuid()
> >network script is not desirable. The management app invoking QEMU
> >could open the TAP device, and do any setup before passing the FD
> >to the NIC hotplug command in the monitor.
> >

> Yup.  If libvirt has a use case for it, then I'm more than happy to
> review patches.
>
> I'm always looking for an excuse to use SCM_RIGHTS :-)
>
> I think the monitor interface could use improvement.  I think it would
> look better as:
>
> (qemu) receivefd /path/to/unix/socket
> /* waits until it receives an fd on /path/to/unix/socket */
> fd=10
> (qemu) closefd 10
>
> Then all of the existing uses of fd= can be preserved.
>
> I like the idea of using a temporary socket because you don't have to
> rely on the monitor being on a unix socket.  This will be especially
> useful when we can support tunneling the monitor through VNC.

Yes, except that I would wouldn't want to pass "/path/to/unix/socket"
via the monitor - that allows any process which can access that path
to potentially open the socket & intercept the credentials.

If I wasn't using a UNIX socket for the monitor already, then I'd
want to be able to pass a FD to a unix socket on the command line
so I know who's on the other end of it.

eg, if i was using a hypothetical VNC server transport for the
monitor, then perhaps allow

    --monitor vnc,scmrightsfd=7

Or, an explicit --scmrights arg for it

Daniel