qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Extremely slow graphic updates

From: Jamie Lokier
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Extremely slow graphic updates
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 19:46:55 +0000

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 01:25:48PM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 06:16:59PM +0000, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
> > > At risk of being silly, why don't you just use vnc to connect to qemu,
> > > if qemu is running on a remote machine?
> > > Obviously sdl is optimized for the local case.
> >
> > Well at the moment, openbios doesn't display when you use vnc by itself.
> > Someone else said they could confirm that, and it had something to do
> > with a display timer not being initialized.
>
> Also doing alt-f# and control-w and such when using vnc is getting VERY
> irretating, since vinegra takes control-w to mean close current
> connection, while I want it sent through to delete work, or do other
> things.

You can switch Vinagre between full-keyboard mode and the mode where
it intercepts keys like control-W.  In the former mode, you can even
send Control-Alt-Del from the keyboard.  I agree it's annoying, but
much less so when you know how to do this (unfortunately the different
states aren't made obvious, and I don't remember how to switch them
right now).

Since I learned this, Vinagre got a lot nicer and I use VNC for all my
QEMU and KVM sessions now.  I got annoyed with SDL for other reasons,
and being able to detach from a running VM is quite nice.

-- Jamie