qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] More robust migration

From: Jamie Lokier
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] More robust migration
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 03:51:40 +0000

Paul Brook wrote (about resuming snapshots on a different QEMU):
> I'm not saying it's a useless feature, just that it's very extremely
> to do reliably, and for that reason unlikely to happen. An
> unreliable implementation (i.e. one that claims to migrate/snapshot,
> then breaks some of the time) is IMHO worse than nothing.

Well, one which cannot resume from a snapshot at all unless you have
the original host and original QEMU/KVM around is pretty bad.

I've already been bitten by that, and had to throw a useful guest
snapshot away because of it.

But I've also been bitten by it resuming in a faulty manner across
QEMU versions, so I appreciate both points of view.

-- Jamie