qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Hardware watchdogs (patch for discussion only)

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Hardware watchdogs (patch for discussion only)
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 12:19:53 +0000

On Friday 27 February 2009, Steve Fosdick wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 17:50 +0000, Jamie Lokier wrote:
> > For real continuity of service you'd also want QEMU itself to have a
> > watchdog.  Either a software watchdog internally (SIGALRM => kill/exec
> > self, or child process expecting regular pings over a pipe), or by
> > QEMU itself becoming a client of the host watchdog.
>
> So many possibilities - one, two, or three watchdogs?

IMHO external watchdog (i.e. ones that monitor qemu itself) are out of scope.
We should restrict this to internal watchdog devices within a VM.

There already exist several solutions for external fencing. Traditionally
these are used in a clustered environment, where physical machines are
connected to remote power switches (or equivalent management cards). Making
these system kill/restart virtual machines seems like it should be a very
minor tweak.

Paul