qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [SOLUTION] "i8042.c: No controller found" -> OS sees no

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [SOLUTION] "i8042.c: No controller found" -> OS sees no keyboard if I type "in BIOS"
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 16:28:30 +0100

> > BTW, with "PS2_QUEUE_SIZE 16" I'm still able to trigger:
> >
> > i8042.c: No controller found.
> >

> > Only with "PS2_QUEUE_SIZE 15" keyboard is detected every time I boot
> > the guest (unless that's what you meant by setting it to 16).
>
> I think this points to a bug in the bios.  The keyboard-internal queue
> size shouldn't cause any problems.

Either way, you're just papering over bugs in the bios/kernel.
My guess is that the bios is assuming it can drain the queue faster than
external events can fill it back up. On real hardware this is often true (CPU
and system bus speeds are many orders of magnitude greater than the keyboard
serial line). However in a non cycle accurate simulator (like qemu) the
keyboard events can happen infinitely fast. i.e. even with an internal queue
size of 1 the bug will still trigger if sufficiently many PS2 events occur
while the guest is draining the queue.

Paul