qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Register uhci_reset() callback.

From: Jamie Lokier
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Register uhci_reset() callback.
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 17:38:03 +0100

Gleb Natapov wrote:
> RHEL4.8 hangs after reboot because usb interrupt is not goes away. This
> patch fixes it. Reseting all devices on a system reset is a right thing to do
> even if there is no reproducible bug exist.

I've got real hardware with this problem!  It doesn't reset the USB
hardware (with some kinds of reset), and after reset the kernel runs
about 100x too slow because it's getting a high rate of USB
interrupts, until it loads the USB driver.

In the real hardware the solution is to explicitly shut down the USB
chip prior to manual reset, and fortunately the watchdog/power-on
resets do reset the USB chip anyway.

So I definitely support the idea that all components should be reset
on a system reset event :-)

Now, a CPU-only reset, such as triple fault on x86, that's a bit different.

-- Jamie