qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] bidirectional data exchange between guest and host wit

From: Anthony Lannuzel
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] bidirectional data exchange between guest and host without network
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 09:51:13 +0200 (CEST)

> Just the fact any sane OS does read caching is what makes it not work.
> Filesystems are NOT going to do this for you.  You can not share
> filesystems like that unless explicitly designed for it.
>
> I remember many years ago in highschool we had a small set of machines
> that had a shared scsi drive between 5 machines (all daisy chained).
> You would shutdown all the machines, then start up the master machine,
> make the drive read/write, add new software and updates, then shutdown,
> switch the drive to read only, and boot all the systems.  They could
> then all use the software on the drive, but anything you wanted to save
> had to be done to floppy disks on the individual machines.  Writing a
> shared drive was simply not an option.
>
> --
> Len Sorensen
>

> I believe "sync" only disables the write cache.
>
> Paul

Ok I got your point, this is clearly not possible with a regular filesystem.

> Can you not create _another_ network device and use that?
>
> QEMU lets you create lots of network devices.
>
> -- Jamie

No, I do not want the guest to be able to communicate with the host
network, so that is not an option.

Virtualbox provides a samba-like sharing feature, which does not uses the
network, but needs the virtualbox guest additions. Has this feature been
discussed for qemu ?

Thanks for your replies
Regards
Anthony