qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: virtio-serial: An interface for host-guest communic

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: virtio-serial: An interface for host-guest communication
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 18:44:28 -0500

Jamie Lokier wrote:
With multiple X servers, there can be more than one currently logged in user.

Same with multiple text consoles - that's more familiar.

Which one owns /dev/vmch3?

For a VMM, copy/paste should work with whatever user has the active X session that's controlling the physical display.

Yes, it could get complicated if we supported multiple video cards, but fortunately we don't :-)

I really think you need to have a copy/paste daemon that allows multiple X sessions to connect to it and then that daemon can somehow determine who is the "active" session.

This is part of the reason I've been pushing for a concrete example. All the signs here point to a privileged daemon that delegates to multiple users. I think just about any use-case will have a similar model.

It really suggests that you need _one_ vmchannel that's exposed to userspace with a single userspace daemon that consumes it. You want the flexibility of a userspace daemon in determining how you multiplex and do security. I don't think it's something you want to bake into the userspace/kernel interface.

And if you have a single daemon that serves vmchannel sessions, that daemon can make it transparent whether the session is going over /dev/ttyS0, a network device, /dev/hvc1, etc.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori