qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: [COMMIT 8a2e6ab] Remove CFLAGS parameter in cc-option

From: Thomas Monjalon
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: [COMMIT 8a2e6ab] Remove CFLAGS parameter in cc-option
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 18:54:28 +0200

Juan Quintela wrote:
> Thomas Monjalon <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Anthony Liguori wrote:
> >> What I'd prefer is for someone to figure out the root cause of += not
> >> working for us.  If we can't, I'd like a big fat comment stating that
> >> it's a known deficiency and we'll move on.
> >
> > "make" complains about an infinite recursive assignment because the first
> > assignment of CFLAGS defines a recursively-expanded variable and the
> > right value is a macro which uses the CFLAGS.
> >
> > As explained in
> > http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/html_node/Appending.html , it can
> > be fixed by making CFLAGS a simply-expanded variable at its first
> > assignment.
> >
> > I have submitted a patch.
>
> Thanks for the explanation.
> I haven't yet seen your patch, but I agree that right thing to do is
> do the 1st assignment as QEMU_CFLAGS := foo
>
> We can't really use CFLAGS, because CFLAGS need to work from the command
> line
>
> make CFLAGS="-O0 -g"
>
> or I am lossing something obvious?

In order to use the variable from the command line, we should use the
syntax "override" before each CFLAGS modification. This way, it is possible
to append options after the user ones.
If override is not used, "make" expand the variable by using the command line
value in priority, which overwrites the Makefile value.

I could send another patch for that but it seems that my mails are filtered
out by the mailing list.
--
Thomas