qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Solaris SPARC guest on QEMU

From: Luis Freitas
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Solaris SPARC guest on QEMU
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 16:31:11 -0700 (PDT)

Laurent,

   The error message I get is this:

address@hidden qemu01]$ qemu-system-sparc -debug -nographic  -m 256 -hda
hd01.img -cdrom /dev/cdrw -boot d
Configuration device id QEMU version 1 machine id 32
UUID: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
CPUs: 1 x FMI,MB86904
Welcome to OpenBIOS v1.0 built on Mar 1 2009 19:08
  Type 'help' for detailed information

[sparc] Booting file 'cdrom' with parameters ''
Trying cdrom (/iommu/sbus/espdma/esp/address@hidden,0)
Not a bootable ELF image
Not a Linux kernel image
Not a bootable a.out image
Trying cdrom:d (/iommu/sbus/espdma/esp/address@hidden,0:d)
Not a bootable ELF image
Not a Linux kernel image
Loaded 7680 bytes
entry point is 0x4000
Jumping to entry point...
bootblk: can't find the boot program
halt, power off
address@hidden qemu01]$

  From this I gather that:

 Openbios understand the solaris disk label on the cdrom, since it can load the
bootblk on cdrom:d and start it.

 Bootblk is loaded, but cannot read the second stage, that from what I could
gather the second stage should be on cdrom:e, inside a ufs filesystem.

  Bootblk sources are available on OpenSolaris 10, but this version no longer
has support for the older 32 bits servers, and it is writen in Forth. (up to
now I could not make anything usefull from the sources, sigh).

Best Regards,
Luis