qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Two QMP events issues

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Two QMP events issues
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 14:22:34 -0600

On 02/08/2010 01:59 PM, Luiz Capitulino wrote:

  Looks reasonable to me, what do think Daniel?

  Note that if we agree on the 'context design', I'll have to change
VNC's events names..

Let me give you a few suggestions before diving into it. context might not be the best name.

For event generated by devices, the event should be raised with something like qdev_event(&s->dev, QMPEV_WD_EXPIRED, ...).

The context argument should allow a client to determine which device raised the event. So it could be a combination of the device's qdev name and it's id.

For event generated by non-qdev mechanisms, we should try our best to associate context with that event. For instance, a DISCONNECT event happens to a particular session. We don't quite have VNC session ids yet but if we did, it would make sense to include that in the context info.

So my thinking is that we don't just want context to serve as a classification mechanism, but we want it to indicate what subsystem/device/session generated the event.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori