qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Seabios dislikes -M isapc

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Seabios dislikes -M isapc
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 18:31:03 -0600

On 02/09/2010 06:27 PM, malc wrote:
APIC is almost as good as useless without ACPI and we have a switch to
disable that.

Which is another thing that I'm not sure it all that useful to have.

Firmware is really hard to implement if you have to deal with supporting
multiple chipsets.

Also, if we don't have a workload that actually needs isapc, that suggests
that there's no real way to test that isapc doesn't have non-ISA things creep
into it.

Given that, I'm inclined to suggest that we mark isapc as deprecated, give
people some time to comment on it, and then provided that we still don't think
it's necessary, change isapc to simply use isa devices while still using a PCI
chipset.
Not to comment, to give hard evidence that something is working with isapc
and doesn't otherwise, in which case it must stay.

Yes. If someone can produce a workload that requires isapc[1], I'm all for continuing to support it.

[1] Very specifically, I mean requires -M isapc to only emulate an ISA bus and not emulate an ISA bus via a bridge in the PIIX chipset. We will always need an -M isapc that only uses ISA devices instead of PCI devices. However, if we can use a PCI chipset in -M isapc, we can express the differences entirely via qdev.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori