qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Missing mon in monitor_cur_is_qmp() and qerror_report()

From: Jan Kiszka
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Missing mon in monitor_cur_is_qmp() and qerror_report()
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 15:26:44 +0200

Markus Armbruster wrote:
> Jan Kiszka <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Markus Armbruster wrote:

>>> Makes sense.

>>> monitor_is_qmp() is used only in a few places.  The real troublemakers
>>> are error_report() & friends, and qerror_report().  These are all over
>>> the place, with more to come.
>> Right, therefore we need a quick decision avoid introducing more
>> [q]error_report users without mon if cur_mon shall not stay.
>
> We still report errors to stderr in many places that are reachable from
> the monitor, and fixing that will add error_report() calls.

Right as this already breaks when invoked over a monitor.

> qerror_report() replaces error_report() as needed to provide
> sufficiently specific errors for QMP.  Not relevant to the issue at
> hand, because both error_report() and qerror_report() use cur_mon the
> same way.
>
>> Just noticed: As long as we rely on cur_mon, user_monitor_complete and
>> qmp_monitor_complete need to establish this context just link the
>> command callers. Without this error messages and the qmp test use a
>> wrong monitor.
>
> Can they emit errors?  If yes, we have a bug.  Can you give an example?
> If no, we may want to set up cur_mon anyway, just for robustness.

Error during migration is one example, there are surely more (at least
in theory - and definitely if we drop mon from monitor_printf again).

And if more of such asynchronous use cases show up in the future, they
all need to be handled with an identical care - similar "tricky" like
getting cpu_single_env right in a multi-threaded environment. I'm not a
big fan of this.

Jan