qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Unmaintained QEMU builds

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Unmaintained QEMU builds
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 08:00:18 -0500

On 08/17/2010 05:09 AM, Kevin Wolf wrote:
. There have been very few patches
for Darwin, *Solaris, AIX or BSDs, non-x86 targets or non-x86 host
CPUs. Without Darwin or BSD host support, darwin-user and bsd-user
will be useless. When did we get Xen patches last time before the
recent patch set?

Let's put things in perspective though.  Win32 support has been in bad
shape for years and no one really seems to care.   It's been sorely
behind since at least when Fabrice introduced AIO support for Linux
without ever doing it properly in Windows.
So what? If I were to choose between working code that is not on par
with Linux or no code at all, I think I would pick the former.

As I've said a few times already, code that is useful to anyone that is isolated and has no impact on common code is reasonable to keep forever.

But requiring everyone to consider Windows even though noone is actively working on it or even testing it seems a bit silly to me. Consider threading as an example. We could drop the non threaded VNC server entirely if we didn't have to care about breaking Windows.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Kevin