qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] multi-threaded smp support

From: Wenhao Xu
Subject: [Qemu-devel] multi-threaded smp support
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 21:09:20 -0700

Hi, Folks,
   AFAIK, QEMU supports SMP, but by using one thread to execute the translated blocks of different CPU in an interleaving way. This makes the SMP emulation very slow. I am wondering what are difficulties to use multit-thread to emulate the SMP, e.g. using one thread to execute the translated block of one CPU (core).
   As as I can see, there are several difficulties (from a high level):
1. Dealing with global variables used by QEMU
2. Dealing with LOCK instructions
3. Dealing with other automatic memory update (setting page dirty bits)

   I am interested in building this, but not sure about the potential difficulties. Could anybody explain more on this? Thanks!

Wenhao

--
~_~