qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] QEMU 0.14.0 release plan

From: Randy Smith
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] QEMU 0.14.0 release plan
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 09:13:08 -0700

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010, Kevin Wolf wrote:

> Am 29.11.2010 18:42, schrieb Anthony Liguori:
> > 0.13 was a mess of a release (largely due to my lack of time) and I'd
> > like to get us back onto a predictable schedule.
>
> Telling people six days in advance when the fork will be is hardly
> predictable. :-)
>
> For example, in the block area there are currently a lot of interesting
> patches on the list (AHCI, SCSI, block-queue, QED, Ceph) and there's no
> way to integrate them in time if we don't want to blindly apply patches
> and then see what breaks.
>
> What to do with them? The options I see are:
>
> 1. Move them all to 0.15 (when will it be?)
> 2. Apply everything now, have a broken rc0 and hope to fix everything
>    in the short time until rc2
> 3. Fork 0.14 shortly before Christmas and move the release to January
>
> The usual approach for dealing with feature freeze deadlines seems to be
> option 2, though I don't really like that one...

I would suggest a very short release schedule similar to what Parrot
and Perl have been using. Release every month. If a feature isn't
ready for this month's release, the next release is just a month away
and it's no big deal. Rather than lay it all out here, you can read
about the process at
http://www.modernperlbooks.com/mt/2009/04/the-rapid-release-tautology.html.

[snip]

--