qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Issue with snapshot outside qcow2 disk - qemu 0.14.0

From: SAURAV LAHIRI
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Issue with snapshot outside qcow2 disk - qemu 0.14.0
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 17:51:59 -0800 (PST)

Thank you very much Stefan, Based on your suggestion I tried out the following two scenarios.

Scenario 1:
1) I executed following with the vm in shutdown state.
"#qemu-img snapshot -c snap1 /home/user1/lucid-vm2"

2) Brought the VM Up.

3) Inside the vm create a file.
#touch samplefile

4) Shutdown the vm and copy the snapshot outside the original qcow2

#qemu-img convert -f qcow2 -O qcow2 -s snap1 /home/user1/lucid-vm2 /home/lucid-vm2-snap1

Result : When I bring up the vm do not see the samplefile which is the expected behaviour.

Scenario 2:
1) I executed following with the vm in shutdown state.
"#qemu-img snapshot -c snap1 /home/user1/lucid-vm2"

2) Bring up the VM.

3) Inside the vm create a file.
#touch samplefile

4) VM is NOT Shutdown and copy the snapshot outside the original qcow2

#qemu-img convert -f qcow2 -O qcow2 -s snap1 /home/user1/lucid-vm2 /home/lucid-vm2-snap1

Result : When I bring up the vm do not see the samplefile which is the expected behaviour.

Is Scenario 2 safe where in the copying the snapshot outside the original qcow2 is being executed with the VM running. This is because if this is safe then this could be an approach as it would not require a long downtime for the VM.

Regards
sl