qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] IDE/SCSI devices support in ARM realview-pbx-a9 board

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] IDE/SCSI devices support in ARM realview-pbx-a9 board
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 12:37:42 +0000

On 16 March 2011 12:24, Sid Kapoor <address@hidden> wrote:
> I am trying to run qemu after building rootfs.img as follows:
>
> $ qemu-system-arm -M realview-pbx-a9 -m 1024M -kernel zImage.rfs -serial
> stdio -append "root=/dev/hda1 rw console=ttyAMA0 rdinit=/sbin/init" -net nic
> -net tap,ifname=tap0,script=no -hda rootfs.img
>
> But the issue I am facing is that there is no /dev/hda1 or similar device
> nodesĀ in the qemu setup.

This is because the PCI controller for the Realview PBX is not modelled
by QEMU, so there is no way to proivde an IDE or SCSI controller to the
guest.

However, if you are willing to run qemu built from git (rather than
from a released version), there was support added very recently for
the SD card. This lets you run your image as an SD card image, by passing
'-sd rootfs.img' to qemu and using "root=/dev/mmcblk0p1" rather than
hda1.

It's possible that the SD card approach may impose restrictions on
maximum size or alignment of the image which an hd image does not;
I haven't investigated.

Hope this helps
-- PMM