qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] kvm crashes with spice while loading qxl

From: Alon Levy
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] kvm crashes with spice while loading qxl
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 12:34:23 +0300

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 10:53:04AM +0200, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
>   Hi,
>
> [ ... back online now ... ]
>
> >>/var/tmp/portage/app-emulation/qemu-kvm-0.14.0/work/qemu-kvm-0.14.0/qemu-kvm.c:1724:
> >>kvm_mutex_unlock: Assertion `!cpu_single_env' failed.
>
> >That's a spice bug. In fact, there are a lot of
> >qemu_mutex_lock/unlock_iothread in that subsystem. I bet at least a few
> >of them can cause even more subtle problems.
> >
> >Two general issues with dropping the global mutex like this:
> >  - The caller of mutex_unlock is responsible for maintaining
> >    cpu_single_env across the unlocked phase (that's related to the
> >    abort above).
>
> This is true for qemu-kvm only, right?
>
> qemu-kvm specific patches which add the cpu_single_env tracking (not
> polished yet) are here:
>
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/spice/qemu/log/?h=spice.kvm.v28
>
> >  - Dropping the lock in the middle of a callback is risky. That may
> >    enable re-entrances of code sections that weren't designed for this
>
> Hmm, indeed.
>
> >Spice requires a careful review regarding such issues. Or it should
> >pioneer with introducing its own lock so that we can handle at least
> >related I/O activities over the VCPUs without holding the global mutex
> >(but I bet it's not the simplest candidate for such a new scheme).
>
> spice/qxl used to have its own locking scheme.  That didn't work out
> though.  spice server is threaded and calls back into qxl from spice
> thread context, and some of these callbacks need access to qemu data
> structures (display surface) and thus lock protection which covers
> more than just the spice subsystem.
>
> I'll look hard again whenever I can find a way out of this
> (preferably drop the need for the global lock somehow).  For now I'm
> pretty busy with the email backlog though ...

We (Hans, Uri, and Me) have already sent a fix for this, it seems to have
passed everyone's testing, and it basically does just that - drops the
use of the mutex. It's in
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/spice/qemu/log/?h=spice.v32.kvm,
see the patches:

 qxl/spice-display: move pipe to ssd
 qxl: implement get_command in vga mode without locks
 qxl/spice: remove qemu_mutex_{un,}lock_iothread around dispatcher
 hw/qxl-render: drop cursor locks, replace with pipe

And specifically the comments too.

Alon