qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] virtio scsi host draft specification, v3

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] virtio scsi host draft specification, v3
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 10:33:47 +0200

On 06/14/2011 10:39 AM, Hannes Reinecke wrote:
If, however, we decide to expose some details about the backend, we
could be using the values from the backend directly.
EG we could be forwarding the SCSI target port identifier here
(if backed by real hardware) or creating our own SAS-type
identifier when backed by qemu block. Then we could just query
the backend via a new command on the controlq
(eg 'list target ports') and wouldn't have to worry about any protocol
specific details here.

Besides the controlq command, which I can certainly add, this is actually quite similar to what I had in mind (though my plan likely would not have worked because I was expecting hierarchical LUNs used uniformly). So, "list target ports" would return a set of LUN values to which you can send REPORT LUNS, or something like that? I suppose that if you're using real hardware as the backing storage the in-kernel target can provide that.

For the QEMU backend I'd keep hierarchical LUNs, though of course one could add a FC or SAS bus to QEMU, each implementing its own identifier scheme.

If I understand it correctly, it should remain possible to use a single host for both pass-through and emulated targets.

Would you draft the command structure, so I can incorporate it into the spec?

Of course, when doing so we would be lose the ability to freely remap
LUNs. But then remapping LUNs doesn't gain you much imho.
Plus you could always use qemu block backend here if you want
to hide the details.

And you could always use the QEMU block backend with scsi-generic if you want to remap LUNs, instead of true passthrough via the kernel target.

Paolo