qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] unable to use device_add command to hot plug storage vo

From: Vinay Venkataraghavan
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] unable to use device_add command to hot plug storage volumes to an instance.
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 17:39:18 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,

I'm still encountering this issue that I've described below.

I think prior to qemu 0.12 qemu used to support the pci_add pci_addr=auto
storage file=<filename> interface to hot plug/ hot add storage volumes to a
running instance.

However, the pci_add command is not supported in 0.12 at all. When did this
happen?

Secondly, now how can I achieve this for qemu 0.12?

I've tried using the device_add interface and the documentation says that it
should be very similar to the -device options on the command line when
launching new instances. However, this just is not the case. I've been trying
all sorts of experiments to no avail.

I have a few related questions:

1. I connect to my instance using socat on the unix socket/monitor interface.

    i try passing commands like: (qemu) device_add
driver=virtio-blk-pci,drive=/root/test_file etc

   and this fails.

I've tried a number of other options as well and none of them seem to work.

Secondly, do the inputs to device_add need to be in a JSON dictionary format?

Thirdly, what is the expected input for the drive parameter? There seems to be
no documentation describing exactly how this needs to be handled at all. Any
help would be greatly appreciated.

(qemu) device_add driver=virtio-blk-pci,bus=pci.0,addr=0x6,?
device_add driver=virtio-blk-pci,bus=pci.0,addr=0x6,?
virtio-blk-pci.class=hex32
virtio-blk-pci.drive=drive
virtio-blk-pci.logical_block_size=uint16
virtio-blk-pci.physical_block_size=uint16
virtio-blk-pci.min_io_size=uint16
virtio-blk-pci.opt_io_size=uint32
virtio-blk-pci.vectors=uint32
virtio-blk-pci.indirect_desc=on/off
virtio-blk-pci.scsi=on/off

So it has all these options but what are the valid values for the drive
parameter?

Thanks,
- Vinay