qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Preliminary results of unit testing on qemu.git

From: Jan Kiszka
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Preliminary results of unit testing on qemu.git
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 11:16:14 +0200

On 2011-08-26 23:31, Lucas Meneghel Rodrigues wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've recently sent a patch porting the -testdev device from qemu-kvm.git
> to qemu.git, and I went ahead and started running the unittests on
> qemu.git. It's still not integrated to our test grid, I just ran it in
> my laptop, which runs a fairly recent linux 3.0 kernel (which in Fedora
> 15 they are calling 2.6.40 :))
>

> We had a fair number of failures. Right now, avi's kernel + qemu-kvm.git
> only yields an apic failure,

Not for me. Or did you run the test with -no-kvm-irqchip (see below)?

> so I guess we need to start investigating
> the failures. If we are going to get qemu-kvm and qemu to merge
> eventually we need to sort out all the issues.
>
>> 08/26 17:12:39 ERROR|       kvm:0102| Test failed: TestFail: Unit
>> tests failed: apic vmexit access hypercall idt_test msr sieve xsave
>> svm kvmclock_test

apic:   First error is related to user space APIC exposing a different
        version than the in-kernel APIC. The version is coupled to the
        CPU model, but neither KVM nor QEMU get this right so far. I
        think we already had complaints about the too old version QEMU
        returns but no patches to fix it properly.

        Then there is a self-ipi issue under KVM but not TCG (or
        in-kernel irqchip), need to look closer. Also affects eventinj.

        Finally, this test stumbles over the bogus isa_get_irq in
        testdev.

sieve:  Works but takes a bit longer under TCG.

svm:    Can't test with KVM on Intel, shows one bug and a lockup in TCG
        mode.

All others mentioned above work fine with KVM but have issues under TCG.
I had a brief look at the obvious cases:

kvmclock_test: Can't work as we do not emulate the PV clock in TCG
        mode.

access: Can't work as TCG's x86 model ignores segment limits
        (long-known limitation).

The others are likely bugs/shortcomings in the TCG model.

Jan