qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] insmod virtio-blk is broken in qemu 1.0 (was: Re: git-b

From: Richard W.M. Jones
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] insmod virtio-blk is broken in qemu 1.0 (was: Re: git-bisect results
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 13:16:51 +0000

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 07:44:10PM -0600, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> Fairly certain this bisect is a red herring.
>
> tglx reported this the other day in IRC.  He narrowed it down to
> virtio-serial.  He was able to reproduce it both with kvm tools and
> QEMU.

I looked at this a bit more closely, and what fails is the loading in
the guest of the virtio_blk.ko driver.  virtio_console is not loaded
when the failure happens.

Disabling virtio-serial on the qemu side makes no difference.

Switching to IDE works, but only if I prevent virtio_blk from being
loaded during boot.  In other words, it's the act of loading
virtio_blk which causes the strange hang, even if there are no virtio
block devices exported to the guest.

Not sure what any of this means, since I can't honestly believe that
no one has tried a virtio guest on qemu 1.0.

Guest kernel is vmlinuz-3.2.0-0.rc1.git2.1.fc17.x86_64 (from Fedora).

If you want me to try patches or take a look at any particular qemu
git commits, I'm all ears.  I don't know where to go from here ...

Rich.