qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] OEM Windows in Qemu

From: inbox
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] OEM Windows in Qemu
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 11:23:21 -0700

Sorry, I don't normally use this email and didn't realize it was set to
html.

I've been trying for several days now to get my OEM copy of Windows XP
to pre-activate properly in Qemu-kvm.  I saw the instructions for
patching the seabios here:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2011-03/msg03080.html

That seems to have worked as expected.  When I boot, it shows the newly
compiled BIOS, but Windows fails to detect the SLIC codes which I copied
from my working Dell system as per the instructions.  My research so far
has turned up the existence of multiple versions of SLP/SLIC which I
think may account for this.

Can anyone confirm what version of SLP the patch posted to this list is
effective at emulating?  Is there an easy way to modify the patch to
support a different version of SLP?

I've installed several low level BIOS scanning tools in the VM to
troubleshoot and gather information.  None of the tools I've used
(OEMSCAN, Oembios) show a valid SLP 1.0 OEM data in the BIOS/RAM.  But
another tool (ReadWrite) shows a valid Dell SLP 2.0 signature.  This
leads me to believe that either I didn't copy the right SLIC information
from my Dell PC or the patch is set up to create SLP 2.0 and not 1.0.

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Brian