qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Get only TCG code without execution

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Get only TCG code without execution
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 08:41:22 +0000

On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 11:09:18PM +0000, Rajat Goyal wrote:
> I am doing a project to build a daemonic ARM emulator using QEMU. One of
> the requirements is to get the complete TCG code for any multi-threaded ARM
> program that I run on QEMU. I do not need QEMU to execute the program and
> show me the output. Just the entire TCG code. The latest version of
> qemu-arm seems to break while running pthread parallel ARM binaries, ie,
> qemu-arm terminates without completing execution and hence, the entire TCG
> code cannot be captured in the log. Is there a way by which I can get the
> complete TCG code for pthread parallel binaries in exchange for not making
> QEMU execute the binary?

QEMU is a dynamic binary translator.  You don't know the next block
without executing the current block.  It's not possible to translate a
whole program without executing it - remember it can load shared
libraries, use self-modifying code, or just employ indirect jumps which
you cannot analyze statically.

In the general case it's not possible.  Can you explain why you're
trying to do this?

Stefan