qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Future goals for autotest and virtualization test

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Future goals for autotest and virtualization tests
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2012 08:01:45 -0600

On 03/09/2012 07:36 AM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
Il 08/03/2012 22:03, Anthony Liguori ha scritto:

Herein lies the problem. You forgot and it's your proposal :-)

Ok, fair enough :) But still, qemu-jeos points out to external
repositories,
just as much as buildroot. It seems to me that the whole point about FSF
requiring the source to be under your control is no longer valid here.

There aren't qemu-jeos binaries on qemu.org.  There won't be until I
mirror the git repos.

It's the infrastructure that matters here.  Submodules provides a nice
infrastructure to handle all of this and minimizing the external
components makes the whole thing much more manageable.

How do you handle out-of-tree patches with submodules (as is the case
when working on new code)?

It's very easy to update .gitmodules to point to a different tree on your local system and then update the ref to a local commit.

So from a development perspective, it's simple. The harder question is what to do about qemu-test HEAD on qemu.org

Maintaining downstreams or patches is just too much work IMHO. I think for qemu.org, we simply have to use Linus or Avi's tree and simply live with the consequences.

We could open up another tree on qemu.org with patches if someone was willing to maintain it but I think that's a bad strategy to take. But it's a possibility if this really becomes a problem.

You want to require tests in order to commit to qemu, but this (for
tests where using qtest is not feasible for any reason) requires all
drivers to be upstream and accessible to qemu-jeos.

We're really just talking about virtio here, no? Maybe we can convince Rusty to have a proper virtio-next.git...

Perhaps for this it would make sense to associate a qemu-jeos commit id
with an upstream commit (from upstream) + a quilt patch queue.

But there's also the problem of embedded devices whose toolchain is not
available upstream at all, so you'd need to import those separately and
somehow add a different submodule.

I think this ends up being outside the scope of qemu-test. Perfect is the enemy of good here.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Paolo