qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] net: RFC New Socket-Based, Switched Network Backend (QD

From: Mike Lovell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] net: RFC New Socket-Based, Switched Network Backend (QDES)
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 09:33:54 -0600

On 06/25/2012 04:40 AM, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 6:42 AM, Mike Lovell<address@hidden>  wrote:
This is what I've been calling QDES or QEMU Distributed Ethernet Switch. I
first had the idea when I was playing with the udp and mcast socket network
backends while exploring how to build a VM infrastructure. I liked the idea of
using the sockets backends cause it doesn't require escalated permissions to
configure and run as well as the ability to talk over IP networks.

But the built in socket backends either allowed for only 2 guests talking
directly or for multiple guests where all traffic is sent to all. So one can
either have two guests talking or have bandwidth wasted with multiple guests.
There wasn't something that could talk to multiple guests but also utilize
unicast traffic.
Have you looked at QEMU's net/vde.c backend?

Does VDE (http://vde.sourceforge.net/) already do everything that QDES does?

Stefan

I have looked at VDE and used it for a few things. I think QDES has an advantage over VDE in that it doesn't require additional steps to get up and running. With VDE, one has to at least start a vde_switch process on the host for the guest to connect to. Then, if multiple hosts are being used, the multiple vde_switch processes have to be connected. Maybe through some vde_plug processes connected through netcat or ssh. Its a few extra steps that can be a pain in a dynamic environment. With QDES, the only configuration should be the options to QEMU as long as the multiple hosts can send and receive data through the same multicast address.

QDES doesn't have anywhere close to the feature set that VDE does. This doesn't do VLANs at the switching level. It doesn't support STP so connecting it to other bridges might cause weird behavior. Etc. But it does provide a really easy way for multiple guests on multiple hosts to be connected.

mike