qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Synchronize issue and lost character when using serial as p

From: Wei Xu
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Synchronize issue and lost character when using serial as pipe type
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 19:32:44 +0800

Hi Folks,
I am trying to install FreeBSD9.0 with xen4.0.2 and qemu 0.10.2, and try to set up a kernel debug host pair using the serial with pipe type,
after tried and failed for a lot of times and then I come here for some help, here is my info.

address@hidden ~]# /usr/lib/xen/bin/qemu-dm --help
QEMU PC emulator version 0.10.2, Copyright (c) 2003-2008 Fabrice Bellard

I set up the serial to pipe by indicate it in the vm config file
     serial = 'pipe:/tmp/bsd-serial'

and I created the pipe file in the dom0 by execute
     mkfifo /tmp/bsd-serial

After all these have been done,i boot up 2 hosts and try to start a kernel debug
with gdb, but it failed a lot times and told me "invalid digit bit" or "Invalid checksum", etc,
so use echo to test if the serial is OK, and I found there seems to be some synchronize
issue and the communication between the 2 hosts is not right.

Host side:
# echo "a" > /dev/cuau0
# echo "a" > /dev/cuau0
# echo "a" > /dev/cuau0
# echo "a" > /dev/cuau0
# echo "a" > /dev/cuau0
# echo "b" > /dev/cuau0
# echo "b" > /dev/cuau0
# echo "b" > /dev/cuau0
# echo "b" > /dev/cuau0

Target side:
#cat /dev/cuau0

aa

Dom0 also give a different output to the target side, so i wonder it look like a bug.

Does anyone have the same problem or can anyone help to have a look at it? thanks.

Regards,
Wei